Monday, October 25, 2010

Easy Granola

I've been on the hunt for an easy, uncomplicated granola recipe.  Yes, I wanted to emphasize that I wanted a really simple recipe!  And I finally found one, courtesy of my mom's old Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.  It really doesn't get any easier than this!  I'll give you the official recipe and then share my alterations at the end.
2 1/2c whole grain oats
1c shredded coconut
1/2c coarsely shredded almonds
1/2c sesame seed or wheat germ
1/2c shelled sunflower seed
1/2c honey
1/4c cooking oil
1/2c snipped dried apricots
1/2c raisins
Stir together everything except the oil and honey.  Combine oil and honey, then stir into mixture.  Spread into a 13x9x2 inch pan on a sheet of parchment paper.  Bake for 40 minutes or so at 300, stirring every 15 minutes.  Pour out into a bowl when done (made easy by the parchment paper) and stir often while cooling to prevent clumping.  enjoy!  Keeps about 2 weeks unless you freeze it.

I didn't have most of the official ingredients, so I used mixed nuts (with sea salt), raisins, and cranberries.  A future batch will likely include chocolate chips.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment