The background: I have been very pro-vaccinations. I like medicine, I like vaccines, and I had never found sound reasoning for Not giving them. I had looked into it and had honestly dismissed most of it as not scientifically valid, among other things Until this week.
My about-face started with a Holy Spirit prompting about Selah's upcoming six month shots. Then, I started hearing stories (lots of stories) from friends whose kiddos had reactions to vaccines. And so I started researching, this time with a Holy Spirit filter instead of just my own logic.
Some bullet points of concerning things
* the lack of good testing before the vaccines are released on the market. A lethal pig virus was found in the rotavirus vaccine in June. !! It appears that they get the vaccines to market as quickly as possible and use OUR BABIES as their test subjects.
* a law was passed recently exempting vaccine manufacturers from liability if kiddos were injured because of the vaccines
* a history of companies ignoring dangerous ingredients and side effects. An internal memo was passed around in Merck about potential dangers of mercury YEARS before they started removing mercury from the vaccines
* a study that shows measles found on the brains of little boys with autism. These boys never had measles..they just had the MMR shot.
* the high aluminum content of these vaccines. Babies aren't supposed to have more than 25 micrograms of aluminum exposure per day. In their shots, they can get over 1000mg in ONE ROUND!
* a seeming refusal for good studies on the effects of vaccines on kiddos. The only significant study on aluminum was a cursory one that concluded, "No more studies should be done." What?? Sounds like a cover-up to me...
*concern about all these vaccines overloading their immune systems.
If you want to know more, I want to recommend The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. He is a mainstream doctor with a very balanced approach when it comes to vaccines. I may buy it in bulk and start giving it at baby showers.
So I'm going to a new pediatrician in a couple of weeks for Selah's next checkup. One that can give me advice about delaying vaccinations until she's older. I'm really intrigued actually - the vision on her website sounds awesome. Healthy Kids Pediatrics There's a whole new world here for me to learn about now - including viable alternatives to antibiotics? Is there such a thing? I do believe that we're an over-medicated society... I'll let you know how it goes.
But I digress. My point: Don't just assume that your kids should be vaccinated according to the CDC schedule. No one is making you and you are NOT a bad parent if you don't. Do your research and hear God about what's best for your kiddos.